Today was a long, long day. I woke up at 6:00 am to swim for 30 minutes and then met a few friends to embark on a 100-mile ride. Later in the day, I ran for 1 hour and finished my day at 7:00 p.m.

It was perfect weather to do this stretched-out triathlon and I was grateful that I postponed this long day a full 24 hours.  Yesterday was quite humid and rain was threatening all day.  After a long drive home from New Hampshire on Sunday, I needed the extra rest day. Honestly, it wasn’t a rest day. I swam 3200 yard at my local pool.  But to me, just driving a mile and swimming a bit over an hour was the mental break I needed.

I won’t go into the specific details of the ride, as it took nearly 7 hours, but other than feeling a bit nauseated with ingesting so many gels, and climbing nearly 5000 feet, I felt pretty good. I also learned a few things:

I learned that I don’t want to ride without socks. My feet really hurt and I think I’d like to have a bit more cushion.

I learned that I can pee on the bike (but I do still think it’s really disgusting and hate that my bike and now my garage smells like a urinal!)

I learned that 5 miles can go by really slowly when all of your riding buddies don’t do the final 30 miles with you!

I learned about chamois butter which has been a lifesaver ever since. I’ve had two large tubes in my closet for years and never used them until now!

I learned that you can think about so many things while you’re riding and then remember none of it when you get home!

After finishing this long day, I drank 4 glasses of chocolate milk. 96 grams of carbohydrates and plenty of protein.  600+ calories. Later in the evening, I forced myself to eat some pasta, stretched, and finally went to sleep.

The next day, I “GOT” to run for 90 minutes. I truly thought I’d be physically exhausted.

To my surprise, I felt much better than I had expected.  I had enough water and fuel to get me through the run. I knew my taper was right around the corner.

Taking it one day at a time has really made a difference. I just focus on one workout at a time and don’t let myself get overwhelmed.

I know it’s easier said than done and trust me, there are many times that I just don’t want to do it anymore.  But, I give myself the time I need to rest and recover and just start new each morning.  I’m so close…can’t give up now!

My next big day is Sunday, August 17 in Canada.  One hour at a time and I should be able to finish…